The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is highly competitive, with an average success rate of 18% over the past five years. Successful awardees under the programme are recognised as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders.
Deadline: 20 October, 2022
- a stipend of €18,500 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2022|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 13 October 2022|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2022|
|Supervisor deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 27 October 2022|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 3 November 2022|
|Call outcome||End of March 2023|
|Award start date||1 September 2023|
Please note that the timings provided here are indicative and may be subject to change.
If you do not find the answer to your query in the call documentation, you should contact the research office in your proposed institution, which will provide information and clarification on the call. Research offices can send any queries they are unable to clarify to email@example.com.
How to apply?
You will need to contact professors of HEI listed universities. Professor will have to agree on proposal and you will need to submit application online with professors consent. Sometimes professor helps you in preparing proposal and application and sometimes you will have to do it all by yourself.
Professors are mostly interested in taking PhD students but BS students can also apply for direct PhD if they have some research background or good profile OR they can try to apply for Research Masters Note: Scholarship is not in the hands of professors/advisors. IRC will grant scholarships but applications are to be sent with collaboration of adviser. So start looking for HEI universities and shortlist professors with same interests. Almost every field is available.
Start pinning down and contacting professors of related fields (process is similar to Korea) and ask them that you want to apply for IRC scholarship. They know about it, if they like your profile and willing to supervise you, they will help you throughout the application process.
Eligible institutions are:
- Atlantic Technological University
- Coláiste Mhuire Marino
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
- Dublin Dental Hospital
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- Mary Immaculate College
- Maynooth University
- Munster Technological University
- National College of Art and Design
- National College of Ireland
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Royal Irish Academy
- Royal Irish Academy of Music
- South East Technological University
- Technological University Dublin
- Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Dublin, Trinity College
- University of Limerick
In recognition of the contribution of publicly funded research performers to Ireland’s research base, the research-performing organisations (RPOs) which are eligible to apply to the Irish Research Council’s postdoctoral and principal investigator-led funding programmes are:
- Economic & Social Research Institute
- Marine Institute
- The Discovery Programme
Further details on eligible institutions: CLICK HERE
Potential applicants should read the call documentation carefully to ascertain whether or not they are eligible to apply. Indicative versions of the applicant and supervisor forms are provided for information purposes only. All participants must create and submit their forms via the online system.
Prepare these documents before you apply for the program:
- Academic CV or Resume (Free template)
- Cover Letter or Purpose Statement (Free template)
- Motivational Letter (Free template)
- Recommendation or Reference Letter (Free template)
Send us your name on WhatsApp to subscribe to the latest Scholarships / Internships information.
1,958 total views, 2 views today