The TechGirls program is dedicated to empowering young women in STEM, fostering gender equality, and promoting global collaboration.
Table of Contents
The U.S. Department of State TechGirls Program 2024 is an initiative dedicated to connecting and supporting the next generation of female leaders in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The TechGirls Program provides access and opportunities to empower young women aged 15 to 17 to advance their skills and pursue STEM-related aspirations.
The core of the TechGirls Program centers around a four-week experience taking place in the United States in collaboration with Virginia Tech University. Tentatively scheduled for July 2024, this experience involves TechGirls participating in an interactive technology and computer camp. Following this camp, they embark on journeys to one of the following U.S. cities: Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland, or Seattle. During these city visits, participants have the unique opportunity to engage in job shadowing at tech companies, experience homestays, and contribute to community service initiatives. This comprehensive program not only equips the participants with valuable skills but also inspires them to create a positive impact in their respective communities.
Benefits of the TechGirls Program
The TechGirls program generously covers several essential costs for the participants, ensuring a smooth and enriching experience. These covered costs include:
- Visa fees for international participants
- Roundtrip international airfare from the participant’s home country to the United States
- Roundtrip domestic airfare from the participant’s home city (as applicable)
- Accommodations during the program include double-occupancy dormitory accommodations at Virginia Tech and double-occupancy accommodations at a hotel in Washington, D.C.
- Meals throughout the program, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Participation in cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
In order to be considered eligible for the TechGirls Program 2024, candidates must meet specific criteria, including:
- Being between the ages of 15 and 17 at the commencement of the exchange on July 13, 2024.
- Being born on or between July 13, 2006, and July 13, 2009
- Demonstrating advanced skills and a genuine interest in science, technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies.
- Expressing the intent to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM fields, particularly technology.
- Possessing strong English language skills at an advanced intermediate level
- Exhibiting qualities of maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness.
- Committing to attending at least one additional semester of secondary school upon returning to their home country.
- A willingness to complete a community-based project upon their return home.
- Meeting U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (note that U.S. citizens are not eligible for a J-1 visa)
It’s important to note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff, U.S. Department of State employees, and family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply for the program. TechGirls encourages individuals with diverse backgrounds and skills, including those with disabilities, to consider applying.
TechGirls participants are recruited from various countries, and the eligible countries for the TechGirls Program include:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF): Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Zambia
- East Asia and the Pacific (EAP): Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR): Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA): Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA): Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA): Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, and Suriname
- United States of America.
Applicants should be aware that the application deadline for the TechGirls Program 2024 is December 8, 2023, at 12:00 PM noon Eastern Time (ET). This deadline marks the closing date for applications, and all candidates will receive notifications of their application status in March 2024.
How to Apply
The application process for the TechGirls Program 2024 is open and ongoing. Prospective participants are invited to apply through the specified channels, adhering to the outlined criteria.
Send us your name on WhatsApp to subscribe to the latest scholarship and internship information.
Writer and learner for life!