For the second year running, the British Council has launched a scholarship programme in partnership with 26 UK universities with the aim of benefiting women from the Americas, South Asia, South East Asia, Egypt, Turkey and Ukraine. We are looking for women with a background in STEM, who can demonstrate their need for financial support and who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM.
Why a scholarship programme?
This scholarship programme aims to increase opportunities in STEM for girls and women. According to data from the UN Scientific Education and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), fewer than 30 percent of researchers worldwide are women and only 30 percent of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education.
Globally, female students’ enrolment is particularly low in Information and Communications Technology (three percent), natural science, mathematics and statistics (five percent), and engineering, manufacturing and construction (eight percent).
Applicants can apply from the following countries
|For both Master’s Scholarships and Early Academic Fellowships||Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal. Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam|
|For Masters Scholarships only||Brazil, Egypt, Mexico, Peru, Turkey, Ukraine|
We are looking for women who:
- are able to take up a course of study in the UK for the academic year from September/October 2022 – 2023
- can demonstrate a need for financial support
- have an undergraduate degree that will enable them to gain access onto one of the pre-selected postgraduate courses at a UK university
- can attain the level of English required for postgraduate study/research at a UK university
- are active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their subject area
- are passionate about their course of study and are willing to engage as committed British Council scholarship alumni.
Full eligibility criteria are available below in the documents section.
- academic prestige – the UK’s universities are amongst the world’s leaders in STEM subjects
- economic support will include tuition fees, stipend, travel costs, visa and health coverage fees
- special support for mothers
- English language support
How to apply
Applications should be made directly to the participating universities. Please follow the university links under the South Asia tab at this page: https://www.britishcouncil.org/study-work-abroad/in-uk/scholarship-women-stem (information will be updated as the application process in each participating university becomes live).
Application deadlines vary between courses but range from 14 February to 10 April 2022. Please check the deadline carefully with the university you plan to apply to, in order to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure you check and meet all of the eligibility requirements before applying.
For any further information about the scholarship programme please contact UK.Scholarships@britishcouncil.org. For questions about individual courses please contact the relevant university.
|Eligible countries||UK universities||Course type||Courses on offer|
|BangladeshIndiaNepalPakistanSri Lanka||University of StrathclydeMiddlesex UniversityThe University of Newcastle upon TyneUniversity of DurhamThe Manchester Metropolitan UniversityCity, University of London The University of ManchesterUniversity of AberdeenGoldsmiths, University of LondonUniversity of Southampton||Masters||Data ScienceEnvironmental ScienceEngineeringPublic Health systemsInformation TechnologyRenewable Energy & Energy ManagementProject Management|
|Imperial College University of Stirling The University of Edinburgh||Early Academic Fellowship|