The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme offers fully funded opportunities for exceptional students to pursue PhD studies at leading universities.
Table of Contents
A unique opportunity arises for students from all over the world under the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme. They are given the chance to attend free universities in Hong Kong. Anyone can apply, no matter where they are from or what they believe.
In addition, there are no limitations on the past professional experience of interested candidates under the Hong Kong fellowships.
Benefits of The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Research Grants Council started the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme. It wants the smartest people in the world to keep learning and do a PhD at universities in Hong Kong. If you want to join, you can choose from universities that are part of the Research Grants Council.
- Fully funded fellowship
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is a fully funded plan for students who are really good at communication, doing research, and leading. They can go to the best universities in Hong Kong.
There are 300 of these fellowships, and you can pick which university you want to go to from a list made by the Research Grants Council.
- Learning from Different Cultures Through the Hong Kong Fellowship
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is an offer for PhD candidates. Students can interact with people from various cultures while learning about them. Asia’s vibrant city, Hong Kong, is home to a variety of people.
PhD candidates who are awarded this funding join a large group that is connected with other parts of the world. In addition, they get to lead fulfilling lives and excel in their studies. The universities in Hong Kong are quite excellent. As a result, PhD candidates from all over the world are able to improve their knowledge.
- Getting the Best PhD Experience Through the Hong Kong Fellowship
PhD students are given a platform through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme to interact with students from other cultures. Hong Kong is also a diverse city because it is situated in the center of Asia. The PhD fellows of the Research Grants Council will have the opportunity to engage themselves in the world of excellence, interaction, and high-quality living.
Hong Kong has one of the world’s best educational systems. As a result, foreign PhD fellows studying in the heart of Asia will have an experience that will last a lifetime and help them develop both personally and professionally.
- Stipends and other allowances
- For up to three years, the fellows will receive an annual stipend of HK$331,200, or about US$42,460.
- The fellows will get a yearly travel allowance of HK$13,800 (about US$1,760) for conferences and travel required to complete their study.
- If the PhD takes longer than three years, the university will offer additional support.
- There is no need for previous work experience.
- For the initial fellowship application, no additional document is necessary.
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2024–25 includes:
- Study Subjects:
- Sciences and Medicine
- Technologies and Engineering
- Behavioral Sciences
- Business Studies
- Degree Level: PhD
- Program duration: The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme has a three-year duration.
- Awards: 300 doctoral fellowships
8 Participating Universities
CityU: City University of Hong Kong
HKBU, Hong Kong Baptist University
LU Lingnan University
CUHK: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
EdUHK The Education University of Hong Kong
PolyU: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
HKUST, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
HKU: The University of Hong Kong
Eligibility Criteria for the Hong Kong Fellowship Scheme
- Applicants must be new full-time PhD students.
- Candidates can be from any country in the world.
- The candidates have to show that they received an English-language university education.
- The candidate has to provide an English Proficiency Certificate if the previous educational medium was not English.
- If an applicant cannot be accepted to a new full-time PhD program, they are not eligible to apply for this fellowship.
- The candidate must select one of the eight universities on the provided list.
Application deadlines for eight eligible universities
List of eligible universities along with their application deadlines:
|Eligible Universities||Application Deadlines|
|1. City University of Hong Kong||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|2. Hong Kong Baptist University||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|3. Lingnan University||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|4. The Chinese University of Hong Kong||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|5. The Education University of Hong Kong||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|6. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|7. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
|8. The University of Hong Kong||1 December 2023 (11:59 p.m. Hong Kong Time)|
How to Apply for the Hong Kong Fellowship Scheme
- For both the university and this fellowship, candidates must submit separate applications.
- The candidates must first submit an application for the fellowship.
- Candidates must submit their initial applications through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) in order to be considered for the fellowship.
- A reference number will be given to the applicants when their initial application has been submitted successfully.
- The candidates must submit applications to the universities of their choice (up to 2 universities and 2 programs, depending on the priority), and they must provide the given reference number on the university application form.
- Candidates’ applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and will not be taken seriously for this fellowship if they fail to include the HKPFSES reference number in their application.
- Every university has a different deadline for submissions; therefore, you must submit your initial application as soon as you can meet the deadline in order to get the reference number.
Writer and learner for life!